Renton Washington Family Law Criminal Defense and Estate Planning Attorney

Serving Renton, Kent, Seattle, Bellevue, Federal Way, Burien and south King County.

Please visit our web page at for more information.

Monday, November 30, 2009

How to Stop a Divorce After it is Filed

If a divorce has been filed and the parties reconcile, the divorce action can be dropped by agreement of the parties. The parties need to file a Voluntary Order of Dismissal, to dismiss the case with the court. If the Respondent has appeared in the action in any way (filing a Response, etc.), then the Order must be signed by both parties. If the Respondent has not yet appeared in any manner, then it is only necessary to be filed by the Petitioner (moving party). A wise approach is to make sure that the reconciliation is working before dropping the legal action, especially if there are Temporary Orders in effect.

If the parties are not in agreement to drop the action, the Respondent cannot unilaterally stop the action.

The Renton law firm of Mogren, Glessner & Roti, represents clients in a variety of family law cases, including divorces and legal separations. We have 4 attorneys for you to chose from. Please visit our web page at Seattle Divorce Lawyers for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment