Renton Washington Family Law Criminal Defense and Estate Planning Attorney

Serving Renton, Kent, Seattle, Bellevue, Federal Way, Burien and south King County.

Please visit our web page at for more information.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Passport For Child After Divorce

What do you do when you hear your ex-spouse plans to take your children on a vacation out of the country? What do you do? Knowing your legal rights will help put you at east and protect your relationship with your children. To take your children out of the country, the parent needs to get a passport. To get a passport for a minor child, the following is required: Completed Application For A U.S. Passport, Form DS-11 Submit child's evidence of U.S. Citizenship Submit evidence of relationship between the child and parent/guardian Submit Identification of both parents Provide Parental Consent (granted within 3 months) Payment of application fee Passport photo of child The requirement for parents with shared custody is providing parental consent. Both parents must give consent to obtain a passport for a minor child under the age of sixteen (16). There are three (3) ways that consent can be granted for a parent to obtain a passport for their minor child: Both parents appear in person with the minor child and sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent One parent appear in person with the minor child, and sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent, and submit the second parent's notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053) If one parent has sole legal custody, that parent appear in person with the minor child, and sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent, and submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the minor child, using one of the following: Minor's certified Birth Certificate that lists only the applying parent Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth Abroad listing only the applying parent. Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless the child's travel is restricted by that order). Adoption Decree (if the applying parent is the sole adopting parent). Court Order specifically permitting the applying parent's travel with the child. Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent. Death Certificate of the non-applying parent. Either you or your ex-spouse can obtain a passport for your minor child either with the others consent or by court order. You can find the forms and additional information about international travel with minor on the U.S. Department of State website.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Compassion and Convictions

The following is a quote I came across from Rick Warren that I find insightful in this age of political correctness:

“Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.”

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Power of Attorney for Adult Children

Do you have a Power of Attorney for your adult children?  Do you realize the possible need for one and the potential consequence of not having one?

A Power of Attorney is a document that allows another person to make decisions and sign documents on your behalf.  These are important documents in estate planning.  Typically a husband and wife will grant one to the other, to take effect in the event of a disability or incompetency.  If the spouse becomes incompetent, then the Power of Attorney takes effect and you do not need to go to court to get a Guardianship set up (saving time and money).

What if you have adult (over age 18) children, who are not married?  If they do not have a Power of Attorney, and become incompetent (as a result of an illness or injury), then it may be necessary to go through the expense of a guardianship to legally care for them.  They are no longer minors that you have the legal authority over.  This becomes relevant as they graduate from high school or enter life on their own.

I would strongly suggest talking with your adult children about them giving a Power of Attorney to you or someone they trust, to make decisions and care for them if they become incapacitated.

The Renton law firm of Mogren, Glessner & Roti, represents clients in a variety of family law cases, both contested and uncontested. We have 4 attorneys for you to chose from. Please visit our web page at Renton Divorce Attorneys for more information.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Renton Criminal Defense Lawyer

Welcome to our new attorney, Michelle R. Ahrens.  Michelle has over 20 years of extensive experience in criminal law, including DUI, Deferred Prosectuion, assault, domestic violence, theft, felony drug offenses, reckless and negligent driving.  Michelle handles juvenile, gross misdemeanors and felonies. 

If you have criminal issues, please call (425-255-4542) and discuss your case with Michelle R. Ahrens. The Renton law firm of Mogren, Glessner & Roti, represents clients in a variety of criminal and family law cases. We have 4 attorneys for you to chose from. Please visit our web page at Renton Attorneys for more information.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Seattle Divorce Attorney

Mogren, Glessner & Roit, P.S., is a law firm located in the south Seattle area (Renton) of Washington. We offer services in the area of family law, including declaration of invalidity, legal separation, dissolution of marriage, and modifications of various final orders (child support, spousal maintenance and parenting plans). If you live in the greater Seattle area, and need an experienced family law attorney, please call us at 425-255-4542 and talk to one of our attorneys.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Office Manager Our office manager, Madeleine Moore, was in a car accident over the weekend. Our prayers go out to her as she recovers. Madeleine has worked in the office longer than any of the attorneys, and her work is greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Lincoln County Washington Divorce In the past, Lincoln County was the preferred county in Washington to file for divorces prepared by paralegals. The reason was paralegals could not appear in court, and Lincoln County was the only county in Washington that would allow the entry of a Decree without personal testimony. Therefore, paralegals would prepare the documents for clients, who would file in Lincoln County and could finalize without appearing in court.

Recently, King County eliminated the necessity for personal testimony in entry of a Decree. Instead, a simple written Declaration by the client will suffice. This eliminates the need to file in Lincoln County. This also eliminates problems for clients, when years later, there is a problem, and you need to return to court. If you reside in King County and the Decree is in Lincoln County, you have a problem. You either have to litigate the issue the other side of the mountains (just outside of Spokane), or transfer the case over to King County.

There is no longer a need to file in Lincoln County (unless you live there). You should file in the county in which you reside.