Renton Washington Family Law Criminal Defense and Estate Planning Attorney

Serving Renton, Kent, Seattle, Bellevue, Federal Way, Burien and south King County.

Please visit our web page at for more information.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Child Support Modification in Washington

The Order of Child Support can be adjusted through a child support modification procedure if there has been a substantial change in the circumstances of the parents or the child. Some examples include when one or both parents' income has substantially increased or decreased; if the child now spends a greater amount of time with one or the other parent; or if the child has special needs, including special schooling or medical care.

If your Order of Child Support is registered with the State Division of Child Support and at least three years have passed since it was entered, the State will assist you in getting child support modified administratively at no charge to you. However, this process takes much longer than doing it on your own.

With the new changes in the Washington State Child Support Schedule effective October 1, 2009, there will probably be an increase in the number of Petitions for Modification of Child Support. These statutory changes could significantly change the amount of child support paid or received. If you think your child support could change, you should consult with an attorney to see what child support may be.

In the next post, I will discuss the procedure involved in a Petition to Modify Child Support.

The Renton law firm of Mogren, Glessner & Roti, represents clients in a variety of family law cases, including the child support modification. We have 4 attorneys for you to chose from. Please visit our web page at for more information.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this blog, It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also get knowledge, from these type of blog, nice entry. Thanks
    child support attorney suffolk county, ny